Waitaki Travel Information
Getting here is easy! Jump on a plane or hop in the car and come explore our Waitaki wonders.
South from Christchurch:
- Christchurch - Omarama: wind your way through the McKenzie basin via State Highway 8 to Omarama - 345km
- Omarama - Oamaru: drive down through the Waitaki Valley via State Highway 82 - 118km
- Christchurch - Oamaru: State Highway 1, the main highway down the east coast of the South Island, 3 hours south of Christchurch is Oamaru
- Dunedin - Oamaru: via State Highway 1, Oamaru is 1 1/2 hours north of Dunedin
- to Timaru Airport (then drive 1 hour south via SH1 to Oamaru)
- to Dunedin Airport (then drive 2 hours north via SH1 to Oamaru)
- Moeraki Boulders Seasider
The Seasider trip runs north of Dunedin on a section of railway which is considered a highlight in the rail network in New Zealand. A great scenic trip with two hours at the boulders.
- Oamaru Seasider
Head all the way from Dunedin to Oamaru on one of NZ's most beautiful short rail journeys. One way or return trips available. For more information, visit Dunedin Railways.
Once in Oamaru, take a half hour return trip on a beautifully restored steam or diesel train. Runs on Sundays from Oamaru Steam & Rail