An important industrial landmark houses the four-storeyed Clarks Mill, New Zealand’s only surviving water-powered flour mill with early machinery still substantially intact.
Originally part of Totara Estate built in 1866, the heart of the site is the imposing four-storey mill building, constructed of local limestone. The building’s highlight is a rare collection of roller milling machinery installed in 1893. The machinery has been lovingly restored to operating condition by a team of dedicated volunteers who get the machinery grinding into action on a regular basis.
Other highlights include the original water race, the railway line built in 1877 to connect the mill to the main trunk line, a remaining millers’ cottage known as Smokey Joe’s.
Physical address :
State Highway 1, between Reidston and Maheno (watch for sign)