OAMARU, THAMES STREET
This former Bank of New South Wales was built at a time of rapid growth in Ōamaru. Designed by Dunedin architect Robert Lawson in 1883, the building forms a handsome pair in limestone with its equally imposing neighbour, the National Bank. Both have luxuriant acanthus leaves on the capitals of their Corinthian columns. The building was sympathetically converted to an art gallery in 1983.
The former Bank of New South Wales is a Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga Category 1 Historic Place.
9 Thames Street