Walter Yardly became a blacksmith in Duntroon in 1896, after selling the business in 1904 to Nicol S. Muirden who retired in the 1960’s, and the smithy lay empty for 10 years. It was due for demolition in 1974 but was saved in 1975 by four local farmers; Burns Pollock, John Hore, the late Bill Simpson and the late Jim Harvey.
A trust was formed and the building a gained Category One classification with the Historic Places Trust in 2006, then the planning, fundraising and restoration work was done between 2007 and 2013.
It is one of very few accessible authentic working Village blacksmiths restored to its original condition.
Beginner blacksmithing courses available, bookings essential – please contact Judy Waterston.
Open daily for viewing 10am-3pm,
Open with working Blacksmiths weekends 10am-3pm from Labour weekend to Queens Birthday weekend.
As it is run by a charitable trust run by volunteers all donations are used to offset running costs
Physical address :
21 Campbell Street