Thames Street Bridge

Architecture

OAMARU, THAMES STREET

The central portion of this stone bridge over Ōamaru Creek was constructed in 1861 to link the old town centre with Thames Street in the north. Originally only 5.5 metres wide, the bridge was widened to its present width of 40.24 metres in 1876. Until 1932, when the Sydney Harbour Bridge opened, it held the distinction of being the widest bridge in the southern hemisphere.